Data Shuttle to import Children rows based on another column?

Jeana
Jeana ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

So we have Assets in Smartsheet that are part of a Project sheet. For each type of Asset (Asset Type is it's own dropdown column), I would like to pull in a set of 'steps' (children) from another Smartsheet or some source file.

So if the Asset type is Workbook I'd like to automatically add child rows to the asset that define each step used to develop a Workbook Asset. Here's what it would look like filled in. The steps are the same for certain types of Assets. Other Assets would have a different set of steps.

If Data Shuttle isn't the right tool for this what should I be using?

Jeana

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Jeana

There currently isn't a way to automatically create hierarchy or insert specific children rows into a sheet under a parent, whether it's through workflows, Data Mesh, or Data Shuttle.

A formula could JOIN together all the Child row content for that Asset into one cell of the same row, but it wouldn't be able to create new rows and parse out the content into individual cells.

The only way I can think of doing this is through a manual solution. You would want to have a helper sheet set up that contains all the sub-tasks and hierarchy for each type of Asset as your reference sheet. Then, when a new Parent is designated as a specific Asset (perhaps triggering an Alert), you would need to manually copy/paste over and indent the child rows (see: Tips for Using Copy and Paste).

You could potentially build out an automated solution using the Smartsheet API. There's an older Community Post (here) which identifies you'd need to have the sheet created, then POST the new rows, and after the rows exist you can then update them to be Child rows.

Please provide your feedback and use-case to our Product team through this form, here!

Thank you,

Genevieve

• Jeana
    Jeana ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Genevieve,

I'm already doing something similar to the manual solution you mentioned. I'll explore the Smartsheet API as well.

Appreciate your time!

Jeana