How to connect to Dynamics 365 using the Smartsheet Connector

Adrian Mandile CHESS
Adrian Mandile CHESS ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Has anyone had success in connecting Smartsheet with Dynamics 365? I have done what I can on the Azure AD side of things with registering the Smartsheet Connector as an app and adding user permissions. However, when I try to set up the Smartsheet workflow against a sheet, it appears that the Smartsheet side of things is still not able to log into D365 to connect with an ‘entity’ (data table) there. Any ideas what I'm missing?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Adrian @ Chess

The first thing to check is to ensure you have the correct permissions (System Administrator security role in Dynamics 365 and System Admin in Smartsheet. See: Smartsheet for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Connector: Admin Setup)

If you've followed the steps in the above article, but you're getting a generic error, try removing & recreating the connection:

• Remove the existing connection
    • Completely log out of Microsoft in all browser tabs
    • Recreate the connection with updated URLs

You may also want to try this from a different browser to see if this helps resolve the error message. If none of this has worked, I would suggest working with Smartsheet Support directly through a private channel in order to identify the cause of the error. Please provide them with screen captures of what you're seeing along with outlining the troubleshooting steps you've already tried.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Adrian Mandile CHESS
    Adrian Mandile CHESS ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/26/21

Thanks Genevieve,

I have tried using different browsers (Chrome) without any existing login profiles and still can't get past the "Error making "getItems" request to extensible plugin. Error : Bad Request" message, when I try to select a D365 item (Smartsheet side is ok). The initial registration process works fine.

My orgSystemInfo file shows that I have admin access on both sides of the connection.

I have been able to get a Smartsheet to D365 connection working in Microsoft Power Automate, but get the exact same error with Zapier and Smartsheet Connector App – and I can't understand why.

However, the triggers/actions available in Power Automate are not detailed enough for me to check for updated rows and return selected column values to D365 records or vice-versa from D365 updated record to a specific row in Smartsheet.

Has anyone got this Connector App to work? or encountered/overcome a similar error? – The error message seems to be a "known problem" in the Zapier community.

Regards,

Adrian