Auto populate a cell when inserting a new row

Hi all,

I am creating a project plan with RAG symbols. However, when I insert a new task / row, I would like the green symbol to auto populate rather than remain blank.

Is there a way to show this as the green ball when inserting a new row? (Image attached). I would like to do this without a formula if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Kelly Drake
    Kelly Drake Overachievers Alumni

I've tried using the Update a Cell automation (which is what I think you're looking for here) but right now that feature doesn't allow you to update cells in symbol columns. (I recommend submitting a feature request!)

I'm not sure you can solve the issue without using a formula or manually editing though. Unless you would input new rows using a form and you make that column a hidden field with the default value of the green ball.

Kelly Drake (she/her/hers)

STARBUCKS COFFEE COMPANY| business optimization product manager

• RSP
    RSP ✭✭

Thanks Kelly - that is what I thought.

I shall submit a feature request and complete this action manually for now.

• RSP
    RSP ✭✭

It also means I can't update the RAG status based on % complete i.e. I update % complete to 100%, the symbol turns into a blue circle 😥

For me personally, this is quite a big miss. They are nearly there with the "change cell value" automation but I am not sure why it is only the text / number field that can be changed here.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!