Workflow - recognising email domain as part of "assigned to" column

Options

Hi all,

I have two columns:

1. Assigned to - this is set as the "contact list" property and linked to the address book so you can put an email address e.g. "firtstname.lastname@smartsheets.com". However in the field it would show up as "firstname lastname" without the domain at the end
  2. Company - dropdown box with 2 company names i.e smartsheets and Google

I am trying to create a workflow that if "assigned to" contains "smartsheets.com" then the "Company" cell would autopopulate to "smartsheet"

Really trying to avoid a formula as it doesn't scale up well if you have over 20 companies etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @RSP

If your contact list column is set up to show the name of the contact, then a formula (or workflow) won't be able to determine what domain that user's email has.

You could to set up a Change Cell workflow (see here) which has different paths based on specific contacts (ex. if Assigned To is "Genevieve" then "Smartsheet"), but you would need to know the company for each person ahead of time and it sounds like you may have a lot of contacts.

The other way to do this would be to have a Text/Number column with only the email displayed.

If you have the email surfaced in this way (without the name of the Contact covering it), then you could use the "Contains" logic as part of the Condition for the workflow, like so:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• RSP
    RSP ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Genevieve,

Appreciate the workaround for the scenario where I know the person.

I shall see how that goes for now.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!