Dashboard chart from sheet

Options

Hi all,

I am trying to create a dashboard chart widget on my RAG status. I have used the symbols in the sheets (Red, Amber, Green, Blue.

However, when selecting this data via the widget, I get the following message "the selected columns cannot be charted...."

Any advice if I can do this or it just isn't with the functionality?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• Mark Kapsa
    Mark Kapsa ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

RSP,

We are using the sheet symbols as well in one of our status reports. We are counting the status icons in that sheet in a set of columns using =countif(column:column, =Color#) as each status icon has a specific number to it. You can then create a chart based off that data. However, if you do not want that set of columns to be on the source sheet I would suggest creating an intermediate sheet for just generating the chart data and use "reference another sheet". Also, you can count in the sheet summary, but you cannot chart from it, you could use a metric widget to display the values.

Answers

• Mark Kapsa
    Mark Kapsa ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

RSP,

We are using the sheet symbols as well in one of our status reports. We are counting the status icons in that sheet in a set of columns using =countif(column:column, =Color#) as each status icon has a specific number to it. You can then create a chart based off that data. However, if you do not want that set of columns to be on the source sheet I would suggest creating an intermediate sheet for just generating the chart data and use "reference another sheet". Also, you can count in the sheet summary, but you cannot chart from it, you could use a metric widget to display the values.

• RSP
    RSP ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Mark,

I have created the intermediate sheet and that works well. I shall use this going forward.

• tscottp
    tscottp ✭✭
    Options

@RSP I have the exact same issue (thanks for sharing that screen shot). Could you please share how you built the intermediate sheet?

Thanks

Scott