Overtyping a formulas answer

I need to automatically calculate a number in one column based on another column, but also need the ability to overrule this result at times and manually enter an answer in the "calculated" column.

When I do I don't want to change the column formula to a line formula as multiple lines are continually being added and things will get very messy with insertions and additional lines without a cell formula.

Annual requirement Minimum stock

120 10 (Annual requirement/12)

2400 200 "

120 10 In this case I want to overtype 25 instead

Am I expecting too much, or has somebody done this?

Many thanks

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Phil Kinvig

I hope you're well and safe!

You could add a so-called helper column that could be used to Overrule the other value.

In short.

If anything is in the Overrule cell, show that instead.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks Andree,

The helper column doesn't work in this case I'm afraid. I need a single visible column that displays either a calculated value from other hidden columns or an overtyped number that the viewer puts in themselves?

So far all I'm getting is circular references every way I come up with.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!