Is it possible to set a date value to blank in an automation?

I have an automation setup where if a value changes in another column the current date is entered in another column using the Record a Date automation.

I would like to be able to set the date to blank if the value in the first column is set back to blank. Is that possible. I don't see a straightforward way to do that in an automation.

Best Answer

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Unfortunately, Smartsheet workflow automation can't be used to clear out a date from a cell.

One workaround is to:

1. Create a helper column into which you can use workflow automation to record a date.
    2. Configure the automation to record a date into that column whenever Event is changed.
    3. Place a column formula into the Date Entered column. This formula changes the value to blank when Event is blank. Otherwise, it uses the date recorded in the helper column.

Here's the formula:

= IF(ISBLANK([Event]@row),"",[helper_Column Date_Entered]@row)

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @cr1616

Hope you are fine, Please add a copy of your sheet or a screenshot (after removing or replacing any sensitive information). This will make it easier for me to provide the appropriate answer to your question.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Chuck Rodgers
    Chuck Rodgers ✭✭✭✭

Hi Bassam,

Included a screenshot. Very simply when I remove the text in the Event column would like the date to be set back to blank via automation.

Thanks

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Unfortunately, Smartsheet workflow automation can't be used to clear out a date from a cell.

One workaround is to:

1. Create a helper column into which you can use workflow automation to record a date.
    2. Configure the automation to record a date into that column whenever Event is changed.
    3. Place a column formula into the Date Entered column. This formula changes the value to blank when Event is blank. Otherwise, it uses the date recorded in the helper column.

Here's the formula:

= IF(ISBLANK([Event]@row),"",[helper_Column Date_Entered]@row)