Calendar App - Custom Tile Colors Not Working

Options
zoe.koonce21046
zoe.koonce21046 ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I'm using the Calendar App and have about 9 categories that I've given custom tile colors to. However, when I open the calendar, only 4 of the custom colors I selected show up. The other categories are all the same color blue. It looks like only 4 custom colors seem to actually save and show up and the others are disregarded.

Can you please assist?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 07/08/21
    Options

Hi @zoe.koonce21046

I'm unable to replicate the behaviour you have pictured, my Calendar App is able to display all the different colours.

Here are some basic troubleshooting steps to try: log out of Smartsheet and the Calendar App, then logging in again, trying a different browser, and test how it looks from someone else's account.

If none of this has helped, please reach out to Smartsheet Support with a screen recording or your screen captures so they can work with you through a private channel. It would be helpful for them to see your entire Calendar configuration as well as a screen capture of the source sheet, identifying the column type being used for these values.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• zoe.koonce21046
    Options

Thank you, Genevieve! It still doesn't work when I log out and back in again, even a different browser. I'll reach out to Smartsheet Support.

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you switch to "Card View" and click on the colors that are bad in the cards?

And see if you can change them at that point? You might have a conditional logic changing the last 5 so be sure to check that too!

Dr. St Nicholas Burrus DHA, PMP

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.

• zoe.koonce21046
    Options

@NBurrus Thank you for offering a solution! The issue is with the Smartsheet Calendar App, not the card view (or calendar view) from the sheet. There is no color logic conditioning and the labels are all the same color in the card view. I can specify the colors I want in the Calendar App, and many are showing up correctly, just the last 5 categories are all showing up as the same color.

• Garrett
    Garrett ✭✭
    Options

I'm sorry I'm a year late, but I discovered a solution for this issue.

Using the ampersand (&) character in the category name causes the functionality to 'glitch out' and always resort to the default blue color. Try spelling out 'and' instead of using the special '&' character.

This might also apply to other special characters such as ? ! / %...

-Garrett

• Julie@WD
    Julie@WD ✭✭✭✭
    Options

FYI - The note from @Garrett is true for all special characters, although I am successfully able to use "/" in my labels & still get the column coloring.

• keith.mui
    keith.mui ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi All,

I am having a similar problem but for my case it has suddenly emerged in the past month where I have been using the same settings for the past year. Not aware of any change I may have made to cause conflict but I am not using any special characters in my naming.

My settings are currently set for two categories colored (purple or yellow). I set my Checklist to star certain tiles I need to highlight to correspond to a custom tile color under the "Color by Column:" I happen to set to another color of purple.

The color I selected does not occur but rather anything I update now makes any tiles regardless of the custom tile color switches to a defaulted Blue tile. I have tried toggle off the customer tile column color and the blue tiles revert back to the category colors accordingly. This also does not happen with other fields selected only my column by color for Checklist changes any tile updated to default blue regardless of the yellow or purple I designated for my categories. Can anyone assist on this issue when using Checklist for color by column?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @keith.mui

If this is a new behaviour that you're experiencing, I would recommend reaching out to Smartsheet Support with a full screen recording of your current set-up and the colour change behaviour you've detailed.

They'll want to see your source sheet as well as each step of the Calendar App configuration in order to replicate the issue, so it's best to troubleshoot this in a private channel where you can share that information.

Thanks!

Genevieve