How do I add another email address to my account?

I want to another email address to my account but I'm getting an error "email address is already associated with another smartsheet account". I have tried the step by step process for fixing this, but it did not work.

Answers

• Hi @wctk1brady

There are a few ways of doing this, depending on what Plan Type you're on.

If you are a member of an Enterprise plan, you can ask the System Admin for your organization to merge the two accounts into one (keep in mind your second address/account that you're looking to merge will need to also be a member of this plan, see: Admin Center: Combine Accounts with User Merge).

The other option would be to "free up" the previous account.

You would need to log in to that other email's Smartsheet account, add an entirely new/fresh email and make it the Primary, then delete the original email. This will then allow you to add the original email to your current account since it's no longer associated with Smartsheet.

These steps can be found in this Help Article: Error "Address Can't Be Added": Unable to Add Additional Email Address to Account

If you believe that the email address you want to use is associated with a closed or canceled account, you can contact Smartsheet Support.

Let me know what step you're having trouble with and I'm happy to help further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hello Genevieve.

I have tried the steps Error "Address Can't Be Added": Unable to Add Additional Email Address to Account. I was unable to get this to work.

After trying the step by step process to remove the account and add it again, which didn't work, I foolishly shared my "third party" account to a sheet and now it's showing that the "third party" account is associated with another account so it will no longer work as my "third party' "non associated" account.

Sooooo. Now what?

• Hi @wctk1brady

When you say "unable to get this to work", can you clarify what step you were stuck at or what error you received?

• Option 2: Part3

Now that you've changed the primary address, you can remove the email address you'd like to use in the other account (the account that you were using when you received the "can't add..." error message).

3.Remove the email address you'd like to use in the other account. (Click the X to the right of the email address.)

4.Log out and then log back into the account that you want to use the email address in (the account that you were using when you received the "can't add..." error). When I do this step after removing the address it says "invalid address" because I have removed the address as per #3

• Hi @wctk1brady

My apologies for the delay in response.

For number 4, you will want to log in to your other account, not the one that used to have the email. It sounds like you were maybe trying to log in using this email you want to add, is that correct? I'll try to outline the steps a little differently, below:

I have two accounts:

1 . Genevieve - Old (email: gen@old.com)

2 . Genevieve - New (email: gen@new.com)

I cannot add the Old email to the New email's account because it has its own one. So, I do the following:

• Replace the email with another, and delete the original, old email.

I'm currently logged into this account:

Genevieve - Old (email: gen@thirdemail.com)

• Log out of this Old account, you shouldn't need to log in to it again.

When you are in Genevieve - New (email: gen@new.com), you can then add your previous email (gen@old.com) as a secondary email on this account.

Are these the steps you were following?