Cell history not working when value is hyperlinked

Andrew Dehyd
Andrew Dehyd ✭✭
edited 07/10/21 in Smartsheet Basics

Problem: When right-clicking a cell and selecting "View Cell History" I just see a repeat of the current cell value and URL listed, and not the real cell history.

Steps to reproduce:

1) I'll start off with a value "111" (to make this easier to follow), then save.

2) Change the cell to a hyperlinked value, in this case the value "222-hyperlinked" links to www.google.com

So far all is well with the history:

but if I change the value now that there is a hyperlink, the history starts breaking

3) Change the value, e.g. "333-hyperlinked" and save.

Any changes I make to the value (while the cell is hyperlinked), I will always see the current value for all previous hyperlinked values, and I can't see the historical values.

If I remove the hyperlink, the tracking history appears to be correct once more.

I know it's a minor thing. But the year is 2021; is it too much to ask to have a hyperlink and also expect the rest of Smartsheet functionality to work too? I'm sure this is just a small bug that Smartsheet will fix once their dev team is notified.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Andrew Dehyd

Thank you for being so detailed in your post and providing screen captures! I was able to replicate what you're describing, my hyperlinks also show as the current value in the Cell History instead of showing the previous URL and Display Text.

I checked in with our Support team and they have confirmed that this is a known issue recently reported. I don't have an ETA for when this may be fixed, but we're working on it.

In the meantime, removing the hyperlink all together from the cell will update the cell history to show you the historical data of the display text (but not the previous urls) if that helps.

Thanks again,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Andrew Dehyd

Thank you for being so detailed in your post and providing screen captures! I was able to replicate what you're describing, my hyperlinks also show as the current value in the Cell History instead of showing the previous URL and Display Text.

I checked in with our Support team and they have confirmed that this is a known issue recently reported. I don't have an ETA for when this may be fixed, but we're working on it.

In the meantime, removing the hyperlink all together from the cell will update the cell history to show you the historical data of the display text (but not the previous urls) if that helps.

Thanks again,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thank you for your helpful answer!

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Much to my dismay, I am experiencing the exact same problem.

Really unhappy. Just reported a ticket to support.