Dashboard -- Can you pull data from a specific cell # even if the data in it is changed daily?

I have a sheet/grid attached to a form.  Every day we add a row utilizing the form, but I have it organized to change to be added to the top row.  In the dashboard when I arrange the data to be pulled from the specific cell, which I want to be in row 1. 

Unfortunately when we utilize the form it adds a row and alters the equation.  How can I make it always pull the data from row 1? 

Example:

=$ColumnName$1

After submitted a form it changes to =$ColumnName$2 which we don't want. 

Example:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Deschamps Etheart

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this.

=MAX(COLLECT(ColumnName:ColumnName, [Created Date]:[Created Date], <>""))

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• thanks @Andrée Starå but its a much simpler form that you could imagine so I don't think max is the way to go, just because some times we enter inventory numbers in twice a day.

I am adding pictures this time just so I can explain a little better.

My employees are going to use just a simple form to identify how much we have each shift.

Grid shows just simple numbers that were manually entered by employees.

The issue I need a resolution is getting a formula that overrides the automatic formula update. When you select a cell to display on the dashboard, and then submit a form the formula automatically adds 1 to your row count in the formula instead of selecting the row i want. Maybe Vlookup might be a way?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Deschamps Etheart

Happy to help!

We'd still use something like my example, but it would probably be something like an INDEX/MAX instead, and maybe we'd use the Sheet Summary section instead if we want to keep it in the same sheet.

Make sense?

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!