Clear Cell Automation - clear weekly list

Answers

• This is something we've been waiting for. However, it doesn't seem to do what I'm trying to accomplish (likely user error here). I have a running list of weekly tasks, in a row. We pick a drop down in the Status column to "Completed", which uses conditional formatting to gray out and strike-though the entire row so we can see the list until they are all completed for the week. The last task is "Weekly Tasks Completed" and when I set that status to "Week Completed" on Friday afternoon, I want the 20 tasks above to clear the value in the Status column back to "Not Started" or blank. and leave the 20 tasks intact. What am I missing, as the automation deletes the task row permanently (the row numbering afterwards also skips the ones it just deleted or hid) even though I only set the automation to clear just the Status column. Thanks for any help you can offer.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Scott Schwartz

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• andree@workbold.com see above. Thanks for any input you might have on this new feature.

• Hi @Scott Schwartz

The Workflow will look at each individual row to see if it meets the criteria to clear cells. This means that you would need your criteria of "Week Completed" to appear on the same row as all the tasks above.

To do this, I would suggest adding in a Helper Column to show the Week Status. Then use a simple formula to lock each row to that category's Week Completed row, like so:

=Status$18

^ This will bring in the status from Row 18 to the cell in the helper column.

Then you can set your workflow to run on a weekly or daily basis, and have a condition block look at the Helper Week Status column. If that column says "Week Complete", clear out all the Status cells for those rows. Does that make sense?

Let me know if this will work for you or if you'd like to see screen captures!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now