Document Builder - text field not populating due to size

Options

I have an adobe fillable pdf file and have checked that there appear to be no maximum limits to the number of characters in a text field.

I map a smartsheet text field to the adbobe fillable text field and...........it is not populating for some rows but is populating for others.

The problem appears to be the amount of text in the field but this is a guess

So ..........

1. is there a known maximum of transferring from smartsheet to fillable pdf in the document builder?
  2. if there is - how can I limit the input into that field in smartsheet - it is populated by a smartsheet form
  3. aaaarrrggggg !!!! sorry have spent 2 days so far before I found it worked on a row with smaller contents and just needed to vent.

The field on the row that won't transfer is

seems OK with 71 characters but not 191 let alone the 685 from the example above

Any help really gratefully received as if there is a limit I just need to find a way to making it the same on input and know what is it on output.

Many thanks in anticipation

Sue

Sue Rogers

AmerisourceBergen - MWI Animal Health

Business Analyst

Best Answer

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi All,

I have discovered after days of testing incremental number of characters - that this had nothing to do with the field not appearing in the fillable PDF.

Some idiot (that would be me then) had copied the data from an Excel spreadsheet field into the Smartsheet and some embedded tabs had made the data untransferable.

It was pure coincidence that the shorter cells did transfer, mainly because there was no formatting in the copy.

Soo 800+ characters worked create and if the data doesn't appear check for hidden, unseeable tabs corrupting the data

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @SueinSpain

You should be able to map a cell with 685 characters into a multi-line fillable field in a PDF. Here's my test with 890 characters:

If your PDF field is configured to receive multi-line texts but you're still seeing sporadic behaviour between rows, please contact our Support team so they can troubleshoot this with you in a private channel. It would be helpful for them to have a copy of the blank fillable PDF you're using, along with screen captures of a row that works as expected and a row that doesn't.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi All,

I have discovered after days of testing incremental number of characters - that this had nothing to do with the field not appearing in the fillable PDF.

Some idiot (that would be me then) had copied the data from an Excel spreadsheet field into the Smartsheet and some embedded tabs had made the data untransferable.

It was pure coincidence that the shorter cells did transfer, mainly because there was no formatting in the copy.

Soo 800+ characters worked create and if the data doesn't appear check for hidden, unseeable tabs corrupting the data

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Thank you for posting your solution! I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue.