Use report count value in dashboards

Options
Ashwinub
Ashwinub
edited 07/29/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

I am new to Smartsheets. I have tried searching in the forums, but couldn't get a resolution.

Below is the scenario.

In Folder - Project Type 1

Project 1

Project 2

Project 3

Using Summarise function of a report, I can get the count of number of projects in each folder. Can I use this count value in a Grid or Dashboard? For instance, I am trying to display we have 3 out of 10 projects so far, on the dashboard. If not using this count value from report, how can I get the number of projects in a grid. From the grid, I can use it in a dashboard.

Thank You

Ash

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Ashwin

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea! (It's coming)

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Copy the row from each project to another sheet and use that for the metric.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ashwinub
    Ashwinub
    edited 07/30/21
    Options

Hello Andree

Thank you for your response. Yes all good here. I hope you are safe too.

I will submit a request.

I had a quick look at how VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH work. It looks like it refers to a particular cell/row/column in a sheet. In my case, I want a count on how many projects are there in a particular folder. Is this the only option - use VLOOKUP for each project in a new sheet (Projects List Sheet) and then use the metric. Whenever there is a new project, update Projects List?

I will provide a use case. There are 2 folders - Open Projects and Completed Projects. I would like to keep a count of total won projects against the annual target. 

Thanks,

Ash

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ashwinub

Happy to help!

I'd recommend setting up workflows that trigger from something that indicates that the project is completed/started or similar, and then copies a row to a so-called helper sheet. Then you can count them in the same sheet or connect it to a so-called Master Metrics sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!