Customize Message in Automation

Options

Hello Everyone,

I need help regarding how I can get only the field that are been filled up with the data to be sent in email or notification while request for an approval.

For example,

I have a travel plan for 6 days of visit but the form includes of 10 days, now i have filled up the form for 6 days of travel and leave the last 4 days blank in the form.

Now in the automation - Customize Message - Message Includes: (there are 2 options)

1. All field - which means all the field in the form will be shown which also will includes the last 4 blank fields
  2. Specific Field - this allows me to select fields from the form. In the above example I selected the field upto 6 days now the last 4 days are excluded. Now when someone filled up the form for 8 days. It will still only show 6 days as I have selected the field for 6 days.

How can I make it dymanic so that only the field with the data filled in, will be shown in the notification and email excluding the blank fields?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Anoop Phago

I hope you're well and safe!

• You could maybe use the Placeholder feature to make it nicer looking.
    • Another option could be to have conditions that check what dates to include.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Anoop Phago
    Options

Dear @Andrée Starå

how can i do so - Another option could be to have conditions that check what dates to include

because i only want to add the fields that are being filled up rather than the blank fields

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Anoop Phago

How many different options/scenarios can there be?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Anoop Phago
    Options

@Andrée Starå

Please go thru my example.

I have created a travel form for my office, which needs to be approved.

The travel days can be 1 or many days depending upon the travel plan.

I have created a form with 15 days of travel in maximum, so if someone fills up the form and submit it. The form goes to his/her respective supervisor for approval. But now, since my form is for 15 days and consist of 15 different blank fields. If someone fills the form for 1 day the remaining 14 days field are blank and while it is send for the appoval all the fields including the blank fields is sent as in the email or smartsheet notification, which is not relevant since the field are empty.

So, there a way so that only the filled field goes and the blank field doesnot shows.

I want to exclude the blank field and only send the filled fields.

thank in advance