Automation triggered by INDEX / MATCH cell value changes

Howdy - I feel like I've tested this every which way but didn't want to throw in the towel until I asked the community.

Is there any way to run an automation (specifically "Copy rows to another sheet") based off a changed value via column formula INDEX / MATCH? My goal here is two fold: limit the number of columns added when copying rows, and provide a single sheet that collates multiple intake forms / sheets.

If the answer is No, as I'm expecting, I'll just establish a manual trigger. Thanks kindly all :)

Tags:

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/31/21 Answer ✓

Hi @Kyle Chipman

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible now to trigger it by using cross-sheet formulas, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds 

• Copy/Move the row to the other sheet, which triggers the main Copy Row Workflow, and then you can have the trigger row either "deleted" by the Clear Cell Action or move it to an Archive or similar.
    • You could also set up a recurring Workflow that could check once a day.

Is this what you're aiming for?

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!