Using smartsheet for specific times

All - I'm somewhat amazed that I can't figure out any way to mark specific times in smartsheet for tasks (start/finish/durations)

I did see threads from 2015, 2019, and 2020, each promising that this basic feature would be coming "soon".

Is Smartsheet still in active development, or has it been acquired and put on life support?

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Smartsheet still in active development, or has it been acquired and put on life support?

I have to admit I chuckled a little bit at this.

It's still in active development. Smartsheet is just not focused on doing a time column. That's as blunt as I can put it. They just do not seem interested in adding it. I found the same things you did across several posts - "It's coming to Smartsheet Engage 2020" - but 2020 has come and gone. I do not know what they're thinking on this. You can always submit a feature request (for the record, I roll my eyes when I see this suggestion too). I would personally like it if Smartsheet had a uservoice or similar platform we could vote on for new features - put it in the hands of the user and have an idea on what others also want in their experience.

I too share your pain. Any sort of cutover or plan that has time is nearly impossible in Smartsheet. I just helped a guy a couple days ago to brute force in a formula for elapsed time (just to subtract "End time" from "Start Time". You can check it out here: Time duration — Smartsheet Community

If you figure out anything, you need to pinky promise me you'll come back to this post and share it with everyone, okay? I'll do the same.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!