#DIVIDE BY ZERO Error Resolution Attempt

Good afternoon! I am trying to replace the #DIVIDE BY ZERO to ready "Update the tasks first!" so I thought =IFERROR(AVG(CHILDREN()) <> 0, 100/ AVG(CHILDREN()), "") would do it. What is the syntax for this please?

Thank you!

Best Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chris Hallo

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula:

=IFERROR(IF(AVG(CHILDREN()) <> 0, 100 / AVG(CHILDREN()), "Update the tasks first!"), "")

the following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/03/21 Answer ✓

@Chris Hallo 

You are welcome, i will be happy to help you any time.

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭

Hey there Chris,

I think you may have made it too complex. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're just looking to get the average percent of tasks completed onto a Parent cell of all its children, right?

I think this would work for you:

=IFERROR(AVG(CHILDREN()), "")

Right now you're getting "#Divide by Zero" because Smartsheet recognizes the blank values as 0%. If they're all 0, it causes that error.

Just a heads up though, you could have this populate automatically if you use the "% Complete column" field option in Project Settings. Right-click any column and select "Project Settings". Then make sure you're on "Dependency Settings" -> Options -> % Complete column:

If you change that to your "Completion %" column, Smartsheet will calculate this for you on all "Parent" cells. It's a weighted average against the Duration field, so you will need to have Start and End Dates for it to calculate properly. Here's Smartsheet's documentation on it: Project Sheet Columns: Start Date, End Date, Duration, % Complete and Predecessors | Smartsheet Learning Center

If you're not planning on having dates in fields, stick with the solution with the formula I gave you above.

Let me know how it goes!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chris Hallo

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula:

=IFERROR(IF(AVG(CHILDREN()) <> 0, 100 / AVG(CHILDREN()), "Update the tasks first!"), "")

the following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

• Chris Hallo
    Chris Hallo ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, Brett. Bassam, this is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. I appreciate both of your time :).

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/03/21 Answer ✓

@Chris Hallo 

You are welcome, i will be happy to help you any time.

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!