Index Collect Looking at Auto Number Column

Options

I have an index collect statement in one sheet that uses a column with an auto number value in another table. I get an invalid value error with the formula. However, if I change the column type to text/number from auto number it works.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ron Anderson

I was able to replicate what you're seeing! If your referenced column is being recognized as text, you can adjust your formula to find the value like so:

=INDEX(COLLECT({Address}, {internal id}, VALUE(@cell) = [Property ID2]@row), 1)

This converts the number in the Internal ID column to be a Value then compares it to the Property ID2 column. Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Ron Anderson

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What exactly is your existing INDEX/COLLECT formula?

• Ron Anderson
    Ron Anderson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

=INDEX(COLLECT({Address}, {internal id}, [Property ID2]@row), 1)

The formula works when the value in internal id is a numeric value entered by me. (text/number). As soon as I change it to auto number it fails.

Andre. Sharing sheets with you.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Ron Anderson

The Invalid Value error is indicating that the formula is unable to find a match between your two columns. Is your Property ID2 column a Text/Number or an Auto-Number? I would expect that the two columns will need to be the same type.

Or, if you are only using numbers in your Auto-Number column, they could be seen as text. Try adding "" to your Property ID2 cell, like so:

=INDEX(COLLECT({Address}, {internal id}, [Property ID2]@row + ""), 1)

If that doesn't work, it could be that the value in your Property ID2 column is being seen as text, try adding VALUE around it:

=INDEX(COLLECT({Address}, {internal id}, VALUE([Property ID2]@row)), 1)

Let us know if any of this worked!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Ron Anderson
    Ron Anderson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I tried =INDEX(COLLECT({Address}, VALUE({internal id}), [Property ID2]@row + ""), 1)

and INDEX(COLLECT({Address}, {internal id}, [Property ID2]@row + ""), 1)

and INDEX(COLLECT({Address}, {internal id}, value([Property ID2]@row)), 1)

none work.

You are correct. I think the auto number field [internal id] is text and the value in Property ID2 is a number which is causing the issue. Any thoughts?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Ron Anderson

Are you able to post screen captures of these two columns? (Blocking any sensitive data). I can't seem to replicate the error. It would be helpful to also see a screen capture of the Column Properties for your Auto-Number column.

Thanks!

• Ron Anderson
    Ron Anderson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can share both sheets. Nothing sensitive in them. Send email

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ron Anderson

I was able to replicate what you're seeing! If your referenced column is being recognized as text, you can adjust your formula to find the value like so:

=INDEX(COLLECT({Address}, {internal id}, VALUE(@cell) = [Property ID2]@row), 1)

This converts the number in the Internal ID column to be a Value then compares it to the Property ID2 column. Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Ron Anderson
    Ron Anderson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

awsome. that fixed it. Thanks

• Genevieve P.
    Options

No problem! I'm glad we could figure it out.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!