Automation for new row inserted

I have a secondary spreadsheet that is cell linked to my main spreadsheet. All changes to the main spreadsheet are reflected on my secondary spreadsheet except for when a new row is inserted. For example, Rows 1-4 are linked but a user inserted a new row in between 1-4 that is not linked to the secondary spreadsheet. Is there a way that I can set up an automation to alert me when a new row has been added? It looks like the automation requires a change to be made within a row before an alert can be sent.

Thanks

Miles

Answers

• Hi @Miles Allison

Yes! One of the triggers for an alert can be "When rows are added", see: Trigger Blocks: Define When Your Workflow is Executed

However, I'd be interested to know more about how you're using this secondary sheet to see if there's a better way to link the two. How many columns/details are you cell-linking across? Is there a unique identifier on each row that could be matched across sheets? (Like an ID or a unique name, etc).

I'm wondering if you could use a Copy Row workflow when a new row is added to duplicate the data in your second sheet, then use cross-sheet formulas (referencing the unique value) to automatically bring across live data instead of cell-links.

Another possibility would be to create a Report from this source sheet instead of using a secondary sheet. This would keep all the data synced and would automatically include new rows as well.

Let me know if you're interested in either of these options and I'd be happy to explain further! It would be helpful to see screen captures of your two sheets, but please block out sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now