Notification when on a character (like a comma) is added to a cell

08/17/21
Accepted

Our teams are managing portfolios of projects, often associated to multiple Opportunity ID's (tagged from Salesforce) in a unique field. The Opportunities are sometimes combined in a free text field and separated by commas.

I'd like to be notified when this cell changes and includes a comma.

Is this possible?

Best Answer

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@Dave H

Glad we got it working!

Here's the formula for everyone else.

=IF(CONTAINS(",", [Created Projects]@row), 1)

I'd recommend changing the column to a checkbox type and then use that to trigger the Alert.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

Answers

• Paul NewcomePaul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭

You will need to leverage a helper checkbox column with the following formula...

=CONTAINS(",", [Column Name]@row)

Then you would set up an alert to trigger when [Column Name] changes to any value with a condition of the helper box being checked.

thinkspi.com

Hi @Dave H

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, it's possible.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

Accepted Answer

@Dave H

Glad we got it working!

Here's the formula for everyone else.

=IF(CONTAINS(",", [Created Projects]@row), 1)

I'd recommend changing the column to a checkbox type and then use that to trigger the Alert.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• @Andrée Starå @Paul Newcome

Thank you both so much for your help! This solved my problem!

-Dave

@Dave H

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

@Dave H Happy to help. 👍️

@Andrée Starå Since the CONTAINS function outputs a true/false value, it can actually be used as a stand-alone (without nesting it in an IF function).

thinkspi.com

@Paul Newcome

Yes, but I usually use an IF structure because it's more flexible, and the OP's column was not a checkbox column.

Ah. Didn't realize it wasn't a checkbox column.

thinkspi.com