Google docs merge add-on is not working if based on a report

Joachim Mund
Joachim Mund ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I try to build a google doc based on a report, but every time I select the report the following error message is shown:

Report Selected

You have selected a report. For the Merge process to work, please make sure that the title of the Primary column in your report is the same as the primary column in the sheet.

Both sheet and report has the same title for the primary column.

Any idea?

Thanks and best wishes, Joachim

Best Answer

  • Joachim Mund
    Joachim Mund ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

    Hi @Andrée Starå

    it works! I opended the google doc again and started "smartsheet merge".

    The report was suceesfully accepted from my tries yesterday where I renamed the primary columnn in the report to the same name as the underlyng sheets primary column.

    I was able to select the filtered rows of the report and generated a google document and a PDF file.

    This is a great feature which gives us new functionality for the smartsheet google docs merge add-on!

    e.g. I can filter now my sheet in the report and give the users a better overview and reduced rows to select.

    I wish you a fantastic sunday

Answers

  • Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Hi @Joachim Mund

    Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible to use google docs to merge from a report now, but it's an excellent idea!

    Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

    I hope that helps!

    Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

    Best,

    Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

    Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

    SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

    Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

    W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

    Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

  • Joachim Mund
    Joachim Mund ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

    Hi @Andrée Starå

    it works! I opended the google doc again and started "smartsheet merge".

    The report was suceesfully accepted from my tries yesterday where I renamed the primary columnn in the report to the same name as the underlyng sheets primary column.

    I was able to select the filtered rows of the report and generated a google document and a PDF file.

    This is a great feature which gives us new functionality for the smartsheet google docs merge add-on!

    e.g. I can filter now my sheet in the report and give the users a better overview and reduced rows to select.

    I wish you a fantastic sunday

  • Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Joachim Mund

    That is excellent news!

    A couple of years ago, it didn't work, and I was also in contact with Smartsheet Support about it because it looked like it should, and they informed me that it wouldn't, so something has been updated or Support had the wrong information. In any way, glad it works. It will be handy for some of my clients.

    Thanks for letting me know!

    Have a fantastic Sunday!

    SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

    Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

    W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

    Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

  • Joachim Mund
    Joachim Mund ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Andrée Starå

    yes it is a great functionality, but it appears that there are some limitations:

    1. contact columns are not recognised as email thus email sending can not be configured
    2. dates like "22.08.21" are shown in the PDF document as "22/08/21"
    3. if "create google doc" is unchecked, PDF is checked, than the process of generating documents is runnuing endless and generates lots of docs and PDF documents
    4. the folder timestamp is not my "GMT+2". e.g folder ...... 2:53 is created and 11:53 is my local time

    The biggest problem is not been able to send emails 😒