Slack notification from automation workflow omits custom message when trigger matches 2 or more rows

Recently observed an odd behavior with my automation workflow that sends a custom alert message to a Slack channel. The trigger is based on today's date and 2 simple conditions. If those conditions match, then a customized message is sent to the Slack channel. The alert is run once a day at 1am.

This works perfectly when one row matches that day's date. However, when two rows match, I only get the designated column info displayed in the Slack channel, but NOT the customized message.

Anyone know why?

Answers

• Hi @Win LeDinh

This is currently by design, please see this Help Center article: Receive Alerts and Requests in Slack

For an alert or request based on multiple rows, you’ll see a summary notification:

• Notifications only: the kind of change (new rows, updated rows)
    • Number of rows involved in the alert or request

Please let our Product Team know about your feedback on this feature by filling in this form, here.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thank you Genevieve for your reply. Even though the behavior is by design, I feel that the custom message should still be appear in Slack since all rows match the condition and that message is relevant and useful to the user. For example, in my case I am providing a warning message to the users, but since that warning message doesn't appear in Slack along with the multiple row information, then the Slack message is only half effective and doesn't serve its purpose since most of the Slack triggers happen when more than 1 rows match.

I shall provide my feedback to the Product Team via the link you had provided. Thank you again!

• I am experiencing the same issue mentioned above. I understand it is by design. How, then, do I create a workflow that will post a custom message in Slack if there are blank rows in the next "X" number of days. I have the workflow set up properly: when a date is reached (daily starting today); condition: where the date is in the next 4 days and rows x, y or z are blank, post a message in Slack.

The message is not posting and it seems it is because there are multiple rows that are blank in the next 4 days. If this is by design, how can I create a workflow that serves this purpose?

• Maximus
    Maximus ✭✭
    edited 07/19/24

@Win LeDinh , there is a workaround to this issue, however, I am not sure if it will work in your particular case. The limitation by design implies that the combination of your automation triggering conditions must be unique in order to display your message.

Hence, if there are multiple records satisfying both your automation conditions, you may want to do the following:

1. Identify any additional field that you may use as an additional automation triggering condition. If there is none, create a dummy column with a numbering sequence for the records that satisfy your 2 conditions.

2. In your existing automation add condition paths by a number of values unique values in your additional criteria (dummy column) and add actions to each of them.

3. Copy and paste your customized message to each of the new actions in the condition paths.

Note: the number of your paths would be equal to the number of unique values of your additional (dummy) condition, therefore if you have a large number of records satisfying 2 of your initial conditions, and you cannot differentiate them by any other , the automation setup may become quite bulky.