Count Distinct Values in a Column

I have a serial # column that I am trying to create a "helper" column to verify that the serial # entered is unique - to avoid/flag duplicate entries with conditional formatting later.

I have tried this formula in the blue highlighted cell pictured below:

=COUNTM(DISTINCT(([Computer Serial # (Parent Asset)]:[Computer Serial # (Parent Asset)])))

It comes back with a "1", when it should be a "2" since the serial # is duplicated in row 2.

I have also tried this formula with the same incorrect answer of "1":

=COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT([Computer Serial # (Parent Asset)]:[Computer Serial # (Parent Asset)], [Computer Serial # (Parent Asset)]:[Computer Serial # (Parent Asset)])))

Is this a glitch, or am I doing something wrong?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Hatley

Ah ok.

Try this instead.

=IF([Computer Serial # Parent Asset]@row = "", 0, 
    IF(COUNTIF([Computer Serial # Parent Asset]:[Computer Serial # Parent Asset], 
    [Computer Serial # Parent Asset]@row) > 1, 1))

Did that work?

Yes, you're correct that it would be complicated to show different groups of duplicates.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!