Setting Up Color Format For A Date Field After 14 Days of Inactivity

Hello,

I currently have two columns: Milestone Status and Date Updated. I set-up a workflow so when a user makes a change to a cell in the Milestone Status column, it's subsequent Date Updated cell marks the date in which the Milestone Status cell was changed.

I want to set-up a function where, if a user has not made any changes to a Milestone Status cell within 14 days of the last change, the subsequent Date Updated cell turns red until someone goes in and makes an update to the Milestone Status cell.

I tried conditional formatting, but it doesn't have the option that I need. How would I go about doing this? Please let me know if there is anything that you would like me to clarify.

Benjamin O'Leary

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Benjamin O'Leary

I hope you're well and safe!

Try one of these methods. Both would require you to add a so-called helper column with one of the formulas below, and then you'd reference it in the Conditional Formatting rule.

Column Type: Checkbox

Details/Information: Checks the checkbox if it's 14 days or more since the last update.

Formula: =IF([Date Updated]@row <= TODAY(-14), 1)

Column Type: Text/Number

Details/Information: This shows the number of days since the last update.

Formula: =NETDAYS([Date Updated]@row, TODAY()) - 1

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• JSpears
    JSpears ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to do something similar using the system generated Modified On column. I'm using this formula in a Text/Number column: =NETDAYS((DATEONLY([Modified On]@row), TODAY())) - 1

It's giving me "#UNPARSEABLE"

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hey @JSpears

Looks like you have a few extra parentheses that don't need to be there 🙂

Try this:

=NETDAYS(DATEONLY([Modified On]@row), TODAY()) - 1

Cheers,

Genevieve

• JSpears
    JSpears ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @Genevieve P. - That worked!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!