Automatic Formula Fill Down Not Working if Copy a Parent Row to Another File

Jim Hook
Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have 10 archive files (normal Smartsheet sheets) that I use automatic workflows to copy rows to them when processing weekly timekeeping data and closing projects. In addition to the copied columns, I have added additional columns to the archive sheet to allow reports that access the archive sheets to ignore duplicate (obsolete) records as I occasionally need to reprocess weekly results. I rely on Smartsheet automatically filling down these additional column formulas when new rows are added to the bottom of the sheet. I just discovered that one of the 10 archive sheets is not automatically filling down the formulas. This particular archive is unique in my application in that the automated workflow just copies the parent row which then automatically copies the children rows also. Within this sheet neither the parent row or the children rows have the formulas in the additional columns filled down. The other nine workflows just copy one row at a time and the formulas fill down just fine. I can't spot a reason why copying parent rows doesn't trigger automatic formula fill down in the Smartsheet documentation. Is this a bug or intentional?

Best Answer

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Never mind, I found the problem. In the archive the parent rows have different formulas than the child rows in some columns so automatic fill down won't work.

Answers

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Never mind, I found the problem. In the archive the parent rows have different formulas than the child rows in some columns so automatic fill down won't work.

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

UPDATE: Actually, fixing my problem didn't fix the ability for autofill to work when I copied parent and child rows to another sheet. That appears to be a limitation within Smartsheet. While I didn't find anything that explicitly mentioned this issue in the Smartsheet documentation I did find the statement below that explains a similar situation that applies to forms and is likely the cause of my autofills not working. Since the child rows were indented they didn't meet the condition for autofill to work.

"NOTE: Form submissions will always be fully outdented. If the last row in the sheet is indented in hierarchy, a form submission inserted at the bottom of the sheet will not auto fill the formulas or indentation of the previous rows."