Need help asap see below

How do I configure this in my Smartsheets form by When you select a fiscal year from the dropdown text it should display only the target release quarters for that year. When you select fiscal yr it should show only that years fiscal quarters

Example Fy 2021 shows q1-q4 fy 21

and instead of adding a logical condition of when you select Fiscal year value from the field Fiscal Year then it shows the target release field as per the logic, how can I configure it to have both these fields shown on the form without that logic and only have it be as per the condition I said above

Best Answers

• Kimberly Loveless
    Kimberly Loveless ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

That is something that I know many people have been asking for, a way to limit dropdown values based on another selection in the form. I would put in an enhancement request (I know I and a few others have also).

That being said the way that I have gotten around it is to have a column for each of the options in the first dropdown list with just the applicable options (these can be hidden on the sheet after the original set up). Then have an overall column that joins the values from the individual columns. Then just use the logic in the form to show the applicable column.

I know it is a little bulky but that is the only way I have been able to get it to work. 😕

• Kimberly Loveless
    Kimberly Loveless ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

so for example if the first drop down is year (options 2021, 2022, 2023) and then you want only the quarters for that year to show for the second form question you would have columns for 2021 quarter, 2022 quarter, 2023 quarter, and Yearly quarter. (Shown below) you would put options 2021 Q1, 2021 Q2, 2021 Q3, 2021 Q4 in the applicable column and then in yearly quarter you would have =JOIN([2021 Quarter]@row:[2023 Quarter]@row," ") then hide the 3 year columns (highlighted in image)

then in the form just set the logic so that if the year selected is 2021 then show the 2021 Quarter column/question (and then the same for the other years)

Answers

• Kimberly Loveless
    Kimberly Loveless ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

That is something that I know many people have been asking for, a way to limit dropdown values based on another selection in the form. I would put in an enhancement request (I know I and a few others have also).

That being said the way that I have gotten around it is to have a column for each of the options in the first dropdown list with just the applicable options (these can be hidden on the sheet after the original set up). Then have an overall column that joins the values from the individual columns. Then just use the logic in the form to show the applicable column.

I know it is a little bulky but that is the only way I have been able to get it to work. 😕

• @Kimberly Loveless how exactly can you have a column for each of the options in the first dropdown list with just the applicable options (these can be hidden on the sheet after the original set up). Then have an overall column that joins the values from the individual columns. Then just use the logic in the form to show the applicable column.? Please explain and show me step by step on how to do this?

Thanks

• Kimberly Loveless
    Kimberly Loveless ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

so for example if the first drop down is year (options 2021, 2022, 2023) and then you want only the quarters for that year to show for the second form question you would have columns for 2021 quarter, 2022 quarter, 2023 quarter, and Yearly quarter. (Shown below) you would put options 2021 Q1, 2021 Q2, 2021 Q3, 2021 Q4 in the applicable column and then in yearly quarter you would have =JOIN([2021 Quarter]@row:[2023 Quarter]@row," ") then hide the 3 year columns (highlighted in image)

then in the form just set the logic so that if the year selected is 2021 then show the 2021 Quarter column/question (and then the same for the other years)