Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Attachments - host on one row link to other rows?

Admin@PAT
Admin@PAT
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi peeps, 

Wondering if there is a way to host an attachment on one row (standard practice) but allow other rows to 'link' to the same attachment, RATHER than having the same attachment on each row.

Example:

Shipping documentation is captured for 'on the go' viewing, many times we have multiple orders or shipments bundled together. So rather than attaching the PDF to each line and making the sheet slow and sluggish due to it's size. I'd like to allow the attachment to be visible on multiple rows, without uploading to each row...

Am I talking another language??!!?? Or is this possible

Comments

• MattH
    MattH
    edited 04/21/17

You can upload documents "to the sheet" without tieing them to rows. Would that help you?

(Go to "Attachments" at the bottom and add them through that interface). 

Edit: You can also link to attachments directly within smartsheet, but the links are only active for 30 days. So, you could "attach to the sheet" and then copy and paste that link around, but it would stop working relatively quickly. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

One solution might be to use another storage solution (Evernote, Onedrive, Google Drive) and link to the file from the different rows.

Another solution could be to attach the file to the sheet and not the row.

Would this work for your scenario?

Best regards 

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.