I need to SUM points based on user and then sort by aggregated points

Tsega Thompson
Tsega Thompson ✭✭✭✭
edited 10/20/21 in Formulas and Functions

I have a sheet similar to the one below:

I need a way to display my results like this:

I can create a report but it won't sort it based on the aggregate function.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

@Tsega Thompson

No problem! What have you tried?

A cross-sheet SUMIF works like this:

=SUMIF({Column To Filter By}, "Filter Criteria", {Column to Sum})

So in your instance, something like this:

=SUMIF({Column With User}, "User Name", {Column with Totals})

You could also have the User Name in a cell in the current sheet (like in your second image) and then reference this instead of the quotes, like so:

=SUMIF({Column With User}, User@row, {Column with Totals})

If this hasn't helped, it would be useful to see screen captures of your actual Smartsheet with the formula in a cell (but please block out sensitive data).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Hey @Tsega Thompson,

Reports have a Summarize and Grouping Feature where we can display this data in a similar fashion. I've created the example below to demonstrate this:

I used the Group Feature to Group the Report by User then used the Summary Feature to Sum the Points:

If you find that the User Column within the Report does not display in alphabetical order, you can create an additional Column within your Sheet that assigns a Numerical Value according to the User and Sort the Report by this Column (use a Formula if necessary):

I hope this helps!

Jaykel

• Tsega Thompson
    Tsega Thompson ✭✭✭✭

Hi Jay,

I mentioned the sorting issue when I go through reports. If you look at your results you will see that it is still sorted by user, despite using the sum to sort.

User b & d both have an aggregated score of 75 but they do not fall next to each other.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Tsega Thompson

Thank you for clarifying! You are correct, Grouping will sort by the Grouped Column alphabetically (either ascending or descending).

In your instance, I would suggest creating a Metric Sheet with cross-sheet SUMIF formulas and then Sort this Sheet based on the total points, using this as your source in the Dashboard.

Here's information on formulas:

Let me know if you need help building out the formula and I'd be happy to clarify further.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Tsega Thompson
    Tsega Thompson ✭✭✭✭

Sumif was my first thought, but I don't seem to be doing it right. I kept getting "unparseable". Any help would be most appreciated.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

@Tsega Thompson

No problem! What have you tried?

A cross-sheet SUMIF works like this:

=SUMIF({Column To Filter By}, "Filter Criteria", {Column to Sum})

So in your instance, something like this:

=SUMIF({Column With User}, "User Name", {Column with Totals})

You could also have the User Name in a cell in the current sheet (like in your second image) and then reference this instead of the quotes, like so:

=SUMIF({Column With User}, User@row, {Column with Totals})

If this hasn't helped, it would be useful to see screen captures of your actual Smartsheet with the formula in a cell (but please block out sensitive data).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Tsega Thompson
    Tsega Thompson ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Genevieve this worked 😉

=SUMIF({Column With User}, User@row, {Column with Totals})

• Genevieve P.

Wonderful! Thanks for letting me know. 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!