Authentication of User when they Complete a Form?

Options

Hello,

I am creating a form for my contractors to submit hours. When they complete the form I would like to authenticate somehow to know it is actually them filing their hours.

Right now if a user completes their form I will not know who fills it in unless they write in their name. Even if they have Smartsheet Accounts the "Created By" and "Modified By" auto fill fields render "Created by Form".

I was also thinking if there is a way to have users login through their O365 accounts to complete the form?

Is there a way to make any of this work or something better for verifying which users are the ones submitting the forms?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @SmartReviewsJake

You would need to turn on the Security setting in the Form that says "Require people to login to Smartsheet to access this form."

Then the Form would prompt a Smartsheet log-in before your users could fill out any details. The Smartsheet account could be a Free collaborator account and they don't need to be shared to the sheet at all, but then this would allow the when the "Created By" column to store their email address.

See: Manage Form Display and Submission Options

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Samscho
    Samscho ✭✭✭
    Options

Does a user first need to register for a free collaborator account before they try to login to view the form? I'd like to minimize the steps they need to take. Or can Smartsheet automatically create the account for any new users who login via my organizations OKTA SSO when it doesn't detect a preexisting user?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Samscho

You don't have to force a user to log in to access the form - you could instead remove that security option and allow the form to be filled in by anyone. If you need to capture their email, this could be a required field that they fill in as part of the form itself, does that make sense?

• Samscho
    Samscho ✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry if I didn't phrase my question correctly. I do want to force users to login via our enterprise identity management (OKTA) before they can view and submit the form. What I don't want is for them to first have to go to smartsheet.com and manually sign up for an account. I want OKTA and smartsheet to provision the account for me any time a user logs in to smartsheet via OKTA that hasn't logged in previously. This is a capability that OKTA has as long as smartsheet allows it. Is there someone who manages OKTA integration at smartsheet who knows if this can be done? I guess I can test this with a coworker who has never logged into smartsheet before.

• Samscho
    Samscho ✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately the test was unsuccessful. A new smartsheet user who enters their company email address doesn't get redirected to OKTA automatically.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Samscho - thank you for testing! You're correct, new users that have never signed in to Smartsheet before will need to create an account before Smartsheet can recognize their domain and route them to OKTA.

• Samscho
    Samscho ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok but it doesn't specifically have to be this way. Smartsheet could see a login attempt from someone with an email address in our domain and automatically redirect them to OKTA and automatically provision a smartsheet account for them after they authenticate. Is there a way to find out if this is an existing feature request? If not I can submit a new feature request.