Document Builder - Error when attaching to Row.

I've set up a system where we use the Document builder to create a PDF report with some text and photos for customers. It seemed to work well, however it's been throwing some weird errors.

If I choose Attach to row it will create the PDF, but error when trying to attach it to the row.

If I download it to my computer and then go back into the document and attach it manually, it works.

Anyone have any idea what this means?

Thanks

Answers

• Hi @Graham Rimell

I've only seen this error once before when there were more than 25 images that were being mapped to the PDF and generated. Is it possible that you have a large number of images being mapped? If so, can you test to see if reducing the number to under 20 images makes a difference?

I would suggest working directly with Smartsheet Support on this issue, providing them with a screen recording, the sheet name and URL, and if possible a HAR file (see: Generate a Log for Troubleshooting).

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• There is a fair few images mapped to the PDF, but we need them all and can't really reduce it down.

• I've some testing and found that if the resulting PDF exceeds 30mb it will fail to attach it to the row. It seems it suffers from the same upload file size limitation of 30mb that is in Forms and the mobile apps.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 11/03/21

Hi @Graham Rimell

Thank you for following-up! Yes, since the Document Builder uses the Smartsheet API, and the current API attachment limits are 30mb, this makes sense.

I believe the API team may already be aware of this issue, but I will provide your feedback to them as well. If you have a moment, please fill out this form so the Product team can learn about how this is affecting your use-case.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• That makes sense then, same API tool. It's frustrating as our files are coming out about 35mb-40mb, so just over. We can probably trim off some photos just enough to squeeze into the 30mb file limit, but an increase would certainly be welcome to give us a little more headroom.