Is there a way to export attachments with titles based on form fields?

I have a form that is collecting first name, last name and an image attachment. Is there a way to export attachments with a naming convention such as "last name, first name" (.jpeg)?

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

Just so I can understand your question a little better, can you clarify the following for me?

I think what you're asking would have a process workflow similar to this:

• When a user fills out a form, collect the values from [First Name] and [Last Name], then rename the attachment to "[Last Name], [First Name]".

Is that accurate?

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Thanks Brett. Yes, that would be another way to ask my question. I need to store attachments by [Last Name], [First Name] for tracking purposes ([Last Name], [First Name] are fields captured on the form and sheet). Currently, the attachments are stored in the form with a title as uploaded by the user (i.e. 20211022 image.jpeg).

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Craig. Looked into this, and unfortunately, it's looking like this isn't doable, even with the Smartsheet API. There's not a native way to do this through Smartsheet (other than simply finding each file and manually renaming it yourself), and their API doesn't support any sort of "PATCH" functions for Attachments.

The reason I bring up the Smartsheet API is that most things that are added via a Smartsheet Form can be edited after submission with the API, but looks like Attachment name isn't one of them, sadly. Best I can give you is to tell you to submit an enhancement request that'll be read by the Smartsheet dev team.

Submit an Enhancement Request.

There are ways this could be done if you utilized a different Form service, like Microsoft Forms then linking it to a service like Power Automate or Zapier. If your org uses M365, you probably have access to Forms but you may not have access to a Power Automate license. I could walk you through it if you'd like.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• I thought that would be the answer. Thanks so much for taking the time to help answer this one for me, Brett.