Nested IF statement

Options

I am trying to allow the % Complete column update the Status column. My Status column has 3 choices, although I've unchecked the box requiring the use of a dropdown choice only. This is the formula that I've written, but it returns the error "Unparseable". Any thoughts would be appreciated!

=IF([% Complete]@row = 1, "Completed", IF([% Complete]@row, =0, "Not Started", "In Progress")))

Tags:

Best Answer

• liz.mayeux
    liz.mayeux ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When I create IF embedded formulas, I have learned to test the 1st IF formula to make sure it works properly =IF([% Complete]@row = 1, "Completed","In Progress")

Once I know that formula works (because sometimes it just doesn't!), I enter the embedded formula.

If this is copy paste of your formula, it maybe that you have too many ))). I'm only seeing 2 ((.

The parenthesis are color coded to the formula statement, i hope this helps.

Answers

• liz.mayeux
    liz.mayeux ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When I create IF embedded formulas, I have learned to test the 1st IF formula to make sure it works properly =IF([% Complete]@row = 1, "Completed","In Progress")

Once I know that formula works (because sometimes it just doesn't!), I enter the embedded formula.

If this is copy paste of your formula, it maybe that you have too many ))). I'm only seeing 2 ((.

The parenthesis are color coded to the formula statement, i hope this helps.

• Christina09
    Christina09 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @David31406

Adding to @liz.mayeux's comment, there's an extra comma between [% Complete]@row, =0

Here is the formula that'll work:

=IF([% Complete]@row = 1, "Completed", IF([% Complete]@row = 0, "Not Started", "In Progress"))

• David31406
    Options

Liz - taking it step by step was an excellent idea. I was able to build upon each IF statement and it now works perfectly.

Thank you!

• liz.mayeux
    liz.mayeux ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@David31406 that was a tip i received from smartsheet during one of their formula classes. Start with your base formula to success and then start adding extra values. they also suggested testing the 2nd/3rd formula separately to make sure that works before adding them into the base formula. it does help keep your sanity when the error messages start rolling in!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!