Google Sheet Embedded in Dashboard Not Editable

Hi folks,

I was able to embed a google sheet into a smartsheet dashboard using the web content widget. I allowed the third party cookies and am now able to see the sheet that is embedded. The problem is that I cannot edit it! Is there something I am missing? I have tried in both firefox and chrome.

Thanks,

Leah

Tags:

Best Answer

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Leah,

Embedding items like Google Sheets, Docs, Microsoft Word Docs, PowerPoint, etc. - they're all read-only. Basically, consider them to be a "window" to the actual item - but they are not editable within Smartsheet. It's basically just capturing a snapshot of the item and publishing it on a Smartsheet dashboard.

For embedding to work, it "publishes" the item to the web - so there's no user account associated with the item, if that makes sense. Basically it becomes similar to a webpage in that it's not real-time editable.

Hope that makes sense!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Leah,

Embedding items like Google Sheets, Docs, Microsoft Word Docs, PowerPoint, etc. - they're all read-only. Basically, consider them to be a "window" to the actual item - but they are not editable within Smartsheet. It's basically just capturing a snapshot of the item and publishing it on a Smartsheet dashboard.

For embedding to work, it "publishes" the item to the web - so there's no user account associated with the item, if that makes sense. Basically it becomes similar to a webpage in that it's not real-time editable.

Hope that makes sense!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Leah Thorp
    edited 10/29/21

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the response. I did not realize that this would be the case, and I appreciate the information!

Leah

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭

@Leah Thorp You are welcome. Glad to help; sorry I couldn't bring the news you wanted!

Love,