HOW TO MAKE A FORM populate to a specific section of my sheet

I have different rows evenly spaced out for 6 different departments of my company that are all organized in a sheet. I want to attach a form to this sheet that allows people to click a dropdown for their specific department, and put a department specific task to complete the form. Here's where I'm stuck--- Once the form is submitted, I would like for the new row to be automatically placed underneath the department that was specified on the sheet (based on the department selected in the form). Is this possible? If so please tell me how, and if not then please provide an alternative.

Thank you!

Answers

• Hi @Paul Rosas

New rows created by Form submissions can only be added either at the very top of the sheet or the very bottom of the sheet - there currently isn't a way to auto-move it to a specific section. Please let the Product Team know of your feedback and request by filling in this form, here!

As an alternative, I would set up a Report. Then I would Group by the Department column. This will then automatically create a sort of "header" with the Department name and will auto-sort the rows in the right place. If you collaborators are shared to the Report and the Sheet with Editor permissions, they can make most updates directly in the Report and it will be reflected in the underlying sheet. Will this work for you?

Here's a free webinar that goes through how to set this up: Redesigned Reports with Grouping and Summary Functions

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now