Linking Information From One Sheet to Another

I am trying to link two sheets together. The user will input information in a new row of Sheet #1 and I want that information to appear in Sheet #2, which has all of the same columns as Sheet #1 and more.

I tried to cell link the sheets together, but I found that I couldn't cell link empty rows together so this solution would require me to retroactively go back and link cells that were recently inputted.

I tried using a VLOOKUP function, but I couldn't seem to select all of Sheet #1 as the lookup table and therefore the solution would not work for new entries.

The third solution I tried was using an automated workflow to copy new rows from Sheet #1 to Sheet #2, but I don't know how I would set the trigger so that it only goes once and if changes are made, it doesn't create a whole new row in Sheet #2.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric Strashin To help form a solution, can you explain why you are doing this?

Depending on why, there are several solutions. For example, why not have the first user you mention - call that one the submitter - use a form to submit information? The form would only collect the information needed.

The second group, that needs to add more information to what came in via the form, would see the full sheet (with those extra columns). They could make whatever changes are needed.

When another submitter submits a form, a new row would be created, and group two could be alerted automatically to review it.

Does that approach meet your requirements?

dm

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭

Hey Eric -

Try my guide here: INDEX and MATCH across two sheets: a detailed explanation — Smartsheet Community

Let me know if that works for you. This tutorial explains how to link two sheets together and then utilize two functions called "INDEX" and "MATCH" that ought to do what you're looking for.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!