Reference Codes

Hi,

I am looking to have a single reference code or number that is attached to an update request that contains multiple rows. Is there a best way to do this? My first thought is to have a value added to a cell when the reference goes out, is there a way to make this a rolling serial number as each update request is automatically sent?

A bit of background: I am using Smartsheet to track and notify suppliers of non-conforming material. Automation workflows are used to send out all pertinent line items that need a disposition response from the specific supplier. After dispositions are sent back via the update request, our company may be receiving a credit memo or RGA (Return Goods Authorization) to return this material. If I had a reference number tying back to the update request it would be much easier and quicker to tie the single Credit or RGA to multiple rows within our master sheet.

Thanks,

Breanna

Answers

• You can create an Auto-Number/System column in your main grid. It allows you to fill out the suffix and numbering system you would like to use. We use this for creating a project ID for our project intake forms.

• Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, I am familiar with this feature and utilize it in a few of my sheets. However, this assigns a single number to a single row. If possible I would like multiple rows that I am sending out to a single individual for an update request to all have the same reference number assigned to them. See example below.

On 6/30/21 two Updated Requests were sent to two different customers.

Update Request ID 1: Complaints 1, 3, 4

Update Request ID 2: Complaints 2, 5

On 7/30/21 two more update requests were sent out.

Update Request ID 3: Complaints 6, 8

Update Request ID 4: Complaints 7, 9

I hope that makes sense. I am not sure if Smartsheet has this capability right now or if someone more clever than myself has a reasonable work around.

Thanks,

Breanna

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!