Forms - Multi-line text box option not working?

I'm working on creating my first form and I'd like to have a larger text box. However when I try to select the "Multi-line text box" radio button in the Field Settings area, it does not work. Is there another configuration that I'm missing?

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @druppert

There is one more criteria that I cannot see in your screenshot. How many lines have you inserted for the multiline text?

• Well, the issue is that I cannot even select the radio button for "Multi-line text box". It seems to be disabled.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/15/21

Hello @druppert

If you are a licensed user, have you tried deleting that field from your form, Saving the form, then adding the field back in? If your data is in a Text/Number field, and you are not forcing field validation (email, number, etc) you should have the option to adjust the text field.

• I tried to delete the field and add it back, but no difference. I'm on an enterprise license with my company, I will try to contact my admin.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What does your data look like? Can you share a screenshot? Do you have any other form logic going on in your form?

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/15/21

Have you added any Field validations (email, number, etc) to this field in the form since your screenshot? You can't have validations on and multiline text.

• I am having the same problem. Sometimes I can get it to work but then sometimes selecting the radio button is not even an option. It was fine before the validation fields were added.

• I'm having the same problem. I click "no validation" and the multi-text option becomes available. But then when I try to click on the multi text radio button the other button set reverts back to email and the multi text option is greyed out again.

• I get the same thing. When I click the Multi-line text box, it automatically switches to a Single-line text box and changes the Validation to Percentage.

• Has this issue been solved? I have the same problem.

• HMcD
    HMcD ✭✭

I've noticed that there is a particular order in which this works and order(s) in which this doesn't work. I'm not sure if this is similar to the situation that any of you are running into, but -

I have to add the field/column and set the parameters (ex. No Validation, Multi-Line Text Box, 3 lines, etc.), then save my form updates. After that I am able to update the field/column to be part of a logic structure, which keeps those field/column parameters.

If I attempt to set up the logic structure first and then set or update the field/column parameters, the system disables the Multi-Line Text Box options.

I hope this helps!

• I have the same issue as described. Has this been resolved? It wasn't an issue until the validation options became available.

There is no option available to me to list the number of lines for the multi-line answers. The moment I select 'multi-line text box' it automatically reverts back to 'single-line text box' and switches the validation setting to something other than 'no validation'.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello All

To submit issues with smartsheet, you can use this form:

It appears you have uncovered a bug

• There is definitely a bug. But I figured it out!!! The bug has to do with the connection between the multi-line text box and making a field required. Here is what I had to do... Something told me to first change the field in my form from being required to not required. I did that, and then selected "No Validation" for validation. Then for Display As, I selected "multi-line text box" and chose the number of lines I wanted. Then I saved the form just to make sure those changes held. Finally, I went back and made the field required again. Now that field is working as intended. Let me know if that works for you ,too.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Angelique

Great that figured out a work-around AND you posted it. Thank you! @Genevieve P. your team may find this interesting, if they don't already know.