How to use a chart to show the Story Points remaining per Epic in a Product Increment?

Hello SS Community,

I need to represent a chart of the remaining story points per Epic within a Product Increment. I have a Report that Groups Product Increment and then Epic Names and Summarizes the Story Points, as below. Any ideas? At present, I'm only able to represent the Story Points remaining on the Product Increment. Thank you!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Kerri S

Currently Chart Widgets can only use the Top-level Grouping/Summary in a Report in order to create a Chart, as you've found. (See the announcement post on this feature.)

The way I would gather the data you're looking for is to create a helper column in my source sheet. In this column I'd write a column formula which brings together the value from both the PI Group and Epic Name into one cell, ex:

=[Pi Group]@row + " - " + [Epic Name]@row

Then I would add this column to the Report and Group by this helper column instead. This would then mean you only need one Grouping to show your second level, while still keeping the PI Group name associated with the Epic Name.

Once your Report only has one level, you can then use it as a source for your Chart Widget!

Let me know if this makes sense and will work for you.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Kerri S

Currently Chart Widgets can only use the Top-level Grouping/Summary in a Report in order to create a Chart, as you've found. (See the announcement post on this feature.)

The way I would gather the data you're looking for is to create a helper column in my source sheet. In this column I'd write a column formula which brings together the value from both the PI Group and Epic Name into one cell, ex:

=[Pi Group]@row + " - " + [Epic Name]@row

Then I would add this column to the Report and Group by this helper column instead. This would then mean you only need one Grouping to show your second level, while still keeping the PI Group name associated with the Epic Name.

Once your Report only has one level, you can then use it as a source for your Chart Widget!

Let me know if this makes sense and will work for you.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Kerri S
    Kerri S ✭✭

It makes sense and is now working. Thanks so much!