Before I dive in: Roadmaps and resource summaries

Hi All,

Before I spend too much time on SmartSheet I'd like to know if it's possible to create a road map of multiple projects. I'd create a whole bunch of separate projects for completely separate teams and business areas, but would use the roadmap to display each of these separate projects (ideally just one bar per project) in one easy view, with dependencies?

I've searched the forums and can't see that it is possible but would like a final word from the community please!

The second requirement is then to get an overview of who's doing what and when, again across all of the current live projects.

Thanks in advance...

Answers

• Jason Duryea
    Jason Duryea ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Building a roadmap listing all projects with Start and Finish dates can definitely be done. I've struggled myself with showing the dependencies and haven't figured out how to do this either.

By "who's doing what and when" are you referring full resource management or just what PM is assigned? The roadmap could include field to show the assigned PM or other key resources that might be identified in a field somewhere.

• Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm guessing from your reply that this isn't a simple template or built-in function that SS already has on offer? I wouldn't want to duplicate work so ideally would just picking each project and display it in a roadmap view.

Resource management requirement isn't about the PM (that's me) it's more about generating a list of what each member of my team is doing in a time line view. E.g. Bob is working on these projects over these dates.

Today i'm using 'MS project for web' which has the roadmap feature but no dependencies in the roadmap. The resource data can only come from Power BI - to much hassle and additional licensing!

Think my search for the right tool goes on!

Thanks - David