Dynamically link columns between sheets

Hello,

I am currently working on a project in which we have a large clunky master sheet with various reports and dashboards stemming from it. This has served us to this point but now the master sheet has grown so big it is just unusable and we do not want to continue adding columns to it.

I want to pull/link some columns from the master sheet to another sheet (one in which i can create new columns and show new information based off of the info pulled from the master spreadsheet). This means i cant use a report because it doesn't let me add new columns or new data.

I want the dynamic column sharing of Reporting with the ability to add columns and show new information like with Worksheets. Is this possible?

I have been trying some lookup functions and match functions but have struggled on a multi column bases. Anyone have any ideas?

Answers

• Hi @mikellester

It does sound like a cross-sheet formula may do the trick, here, as long as you have some sort of unique identifier per-row to match across the sheets and bring back the correct data.

You'll also need to make sure any of the columns you're bringing through are the exact same type across sheets - for example if you have data stored in a multi-select column, create a multi-select column in the destination sheet.

Here are some other Community posts that go through how you can create these formulas:

If this hasn't helped, it would be useful to see a screen capture of your source sheet, identifying the columns you want to duplicate, but please block out sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now