Automatically updating/adding rows from a linked sheet

Options

I have created effectively a 'dummy sheet' version of a Smartsheet for my implementation officers to use to use to request an update form for their item. The rows in the sheet are linked to the more comprehensive and detailed 'Full version'. However, if I add another row into the 'Full version' it does not translate to the 'dummy sheet' and so I have to go into the 'dummy sheet' and re-link the cells to their relevant column in the larger 'Full Version'.

Is there a way to link a document live so that when rows are added in one sheet (the Full Version), they are automatically added to the other (Dummy Sheet)?

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Bottomley

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bottomley
    Options

Hi Andree,

The INDEX structure works well, but only provides me with the ability to transfer 1 row at a time. Is there a way to write the formula so that an entire range of rows from one sheet are transferred live into another document, while allowing for automatic updating when additional rows are added?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Bottomley

Yes, you can add an Auto Number column in the Source sheet and then add a new column in the Destination sheet where you add the same number manually up to as many rows as you need.

You'd then use those columns to MATCH.

Make sense?

Would that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bottomley
    Options

Yes that does - but just to clarify that there is no way to 'automate' that the sheet updates itself live in accordance with the original sheet? I must insert the ID Number (so to speak) manually.

• Bessie Koch
    Options

Bottomly,

Did you end up getting an answer for this? I am looking for this exact solution as well.

Thank you

• Linda_T_D
    Options

I'm looking for a solution to this situation also. I have one master sheet and want to use the first three columns in the secondary sheets. I would like for them to update automatically when rows are added/deleted from the master sheet.

• TendegInquirer
    Options

I am also for a method to automatically link additional rows from the master sheet into the destination sheet. Is there a solution in place ?

• Kim Ryan
    Kim Ryan ✭✭
    edited 01/19/23
    Options

Seems the trail has died.

What's the point of linking if new rows added or moved cannot update to the destination sheet.

In my situation I wish to have a user enter answers on a form that in turn populates the sheet (grid).

Initially the sheet is blank. To link cells I found through this form one could color the cells and SS would think the cells are populated and therefore a link made to or from a destination sheet.

The end result was any entries made via the form do not populate a linked cell....they simply populate above the linked cell in a new row above or below depending on how you set the form up. Poof! The dream dies.

Why are we still here? I'm sure there is an upgrade for that. No?

• Allen Boatright
    Options

I am interested in a solution. I have been using workarounds. It's time consuming.

• maggie82
    Options

@SmartSheetAdmin have you considered support for this issue (see above - basically if we reference one sheet from another, update when new rows are added). I see many users seeking support for this solution and I am as well. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!