Reset date on a recurring task

Hi -

Is there a way to automatically reset a date when a task is complete? So when a task is done I click the check box and it will automatically reset the due date to the next business day on daily recurring tasks.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

First you will need to insert a date type column and create a Record A Date automation to record the date when the box is checked.

Then in your Due Date column you would use

=WORKDAY([Date Box Checked Column]@row, 1)

Optional: You could then create a Clear Cell Data automation to clear the checked box whenever the Due Date changes to any value. Basically this would clear the checkbox once the due date updates so you don't have to manually uncheck, save, then check again just to get the next due date.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

First you will need to insert a date type column and create a Record A Date automation to record the date when the box is checked.

Then in your Due Date column you would use

=WORKDAY([Date Box Checked Column]@row, 1)

Optional: You could then create a Clear Cell Data automation to clear the checked box whenever the Due Date changes to any value. Basically this would clear the checkbox once the due date updates so you don't have to manually uncheck, save, then check again just to get the next due date.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Hi Paul - Thank you! I was able to record a date and clear cell data, but I am having issues with the formula. I have a “done”column and “due date” column. For a task that is recurring daily I would like to be able to check mark the done box and then the due date automatically changes to the next work day. Do you know of a formula to assist with this?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It should be the formula in my last comment where you reference the auto-date column.

10xViz.com