apply filter that shows parents AND children in grid mode

Hi,

lets say I have parents A, B and C and they have 3 children each. I would like to set up a filter that shows me parent C only, but including the children. I tried it with "show column which meets "is one of" "C"" but this does not include the children because the children have different content. There is the option to include the parent, but not the children.

Am I the only one having the need to filter by parents incl. their children??

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The content of column 7 IS the formula. If you look under that column label, you will see I have applied it as a column formula (fx).

Here is a screenshot of the formula actually in the sheet.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You will need to include a column that with a column formula that will grab the parent data and output it on all of the rows.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]row) = 0, [Task Name]@row, PARENT([Task Name]@row)

Then create your filter based on this new column.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• thanks! I appreciate your help and response.

I have to admit that I don´t follow your formula completely. Just wondering: Why is it called SMARTsheet again? Smart would have been a checkbox (include children).

Now, someone from Smartsheet might say: Great idea! Please submit this as a suggestion for a new feature. I´ve done this many times already and so far nothing was improved unfortunately...

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My apologies. I had it backwards:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]row) <> 0, [Task Name]@row, PARENT([Task Name]@row)

[Task Name] should be changed to the name of the column you are originally wanting to filter on. Basically it says that if it is a parent row, then pull the data directly across. If it is a child row it will pull the parent data.

You end up with something like this and would then filter on (in the screenshot) Column7.

10xViz.com

• Thanks again and thanks for the screenshot. Your explanation makes perfect sense, but unfortunately I can´t get it to work on my sheet.

what am I missing???

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You are missing the @ in the first cell reference.

10xViz.com

• I just copied your formular ;o)

Yes, that did something to the sheet, but now I´m getting "incorrect argument set"

:o(

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry about that. Apparently my fingers and brain are not on the same wavelength. Try this one.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) <> 0, [Task Name]@row, PARENT([Task Name]@row)

10xViz.com

• Hey Paul,

no worries, but unfortunately it´s still not working. Come on, I know you can do it!!

Back to your screenshot: I have to assume that you entered the content of column 7 manually to show the result. Since you went that far already to demonstrate the outcome, any chance you can try the formula yourself on that test spreadsheet and see if it works?

Thanks!!

almost there!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The content of column 7 IS the formula. If you look under that column label, you will see I have applied it as a column formula (fx).

Here is a screenshot of the formula actually in the sheet.

10xViz.com

• Hi Paul,

I looked at it again, now, after the holidays and got it to work based on your information!

Thanks! That really helps me a lot!

Happy new year!

Sven

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com