Adding text to a field, then changing text color based on calculated values

Options
Edward Nadareski
Edward Nadareski ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/30/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hello.

I would like to ask if anyone has had an opportunity to have text added to a column, then based on a calculated value, change the text color from say black to red based on a calculated outcome.

For example. I have a checkbox that simply determines if multiple Techs were required for a specific task. If the checkbox is checked, then I want to validate that a number is selected from a dropdown in the next column (Number of Techs on Task). If the checkbox is checked, and NO number is selected, I have this formula =IF([Multiple Techs on Task Hours]@row = 1, "A number of Techs must be selected from the dropdown", ""). I would like to turn the text RED at this time. Then, once a value is entered into the "Number of Techs on Task" column, I want to remove the FLAG message or change the text color to WHITE, and the background to WHITE so it appears that the field has been reset.

Suggestions?

Thank you! -Edward

Edward Nadareski

(e): ejnadareski@mmhayes.com

(p): (518) 857-1221

Tags:

Best Answer

• Jeff M.
    Jeff M. ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This could be done using the conditional formatting option in the top menu. You could do something similar to this..

The format changes the text color to red if it contains the phrase, or the text will change to white when the other column contains a number.

Answers

• Jeff M.
    Jeff M. ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This could be done using the conditional formatting option in the top menu. You could do something similar to this..

The format changes the text color to red if it contains the phrase, or the text will change to white when the other column contains a number.

• Edward Nadareski
    Edward Nadareski ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you, Jeff! This is very helpful.

Edward Nadareski

(e): ejnadareski@mmhayes.com

(p): (518) 857-1221

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!