Copy & Paste multiple cells with formulas

Hi,

I'm trying to copy multiple cells from one sheet to another. The original sheet has formulas that tally up data. When I copy these cells, it pastes the results of the formula, but not the actual formula into the cell. Any suggestions on how to get multiple formulas to copy over (rather than copy and paste each individual formula into each individual destination cell)?

Thanks,

John

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Have you tried "Paste Special"?

If so and that is still not working, you can try this:

Put some random special character that isn't used in any of the formulas as the very first character. This will convert everything into text strings. You can then copy/paste in bulk and finally do a find/replace to remove that special character which will then convert everything back into formulas.

For example, if you are not using an ! anywhere on the sheet, you can use that like so

!=COUNTIFS(.................................)

Copy/paste this over then find/replace can remove the !.

If you do this to all of the cells on the original sheet first, you should be able to copy/paste in bulk.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Have you tried "Paste Special"?

If so and that is still not working, you can try this:

Put some random special character that isn't used in any of the formulas as the very first character. This will convert everything into text strings. You can then copy/paste in bulk and finally do a find/replace to remove that special character which will then convert everything back into formulas.

For example, if you are not using an ! anywhere on the sheet, you can use that like so

!=COUNTIFS(.................................)

Copy/paste this over then find/replace can remove the !.

If you do this to all of the cells on the original sheet first, you should be able to copy/paste in bulk.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• @Paul Newcome

You are awesome. Thanks so much for the quick response. I haven't done it yet, but I'm certain that will do the trick. Thanks again!!!

John

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com

• Pat Canning
    Pat Canning ✭✭✭✭

I haven't found this technique works if the formulas to be copied contain external references. The receiving sheet throws an #INVALID REF error.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Pat Canning That is expected behavior if you have not yet set up the cross sheet reference(s) within the formula you are pasting.

10xViz.com