Account/Email Issues

I added a user with an @CAE email. Due to email issues, she wasn't able to receive the invite from Smartsheet, at her CAE email. So, I deleted her from User Management thinking I'd just set her up with a different email, outlook.

I then had her sign up with her outlook email. Which she can get in just fine. However, when I realized that I can no longer change her primary email, I had her try to change it in her profile. BUT, because she had that other user account (CAE), which I deleted, she still got an error saying that account isn't available and now, she can't change the primary email address to the CAE one because it says it already associated.

She cannot continue to use her outlook email, it needs to be the CAE one.

Again, she can not log in to her original account since I deleted her from user management.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How long ago was this? I have seen it take a few hours up to a couple of days for the system to actually "release" the old email address after it was deleted from user management.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Hi @Chelsea Duncan

Did you remove the email from the contact in User Management, or did you remove the entire User and email from your company's plan?

When you invite an email address to join your Smartsheet plan, if this email did not previously have a Smartsheet account then a Free Collaborator account is created under that email address. Once the user accepts the invitation, this account is updated to be either an unlicenced or licenced member of your plan.

However if you remove the user from your plan, that Free Collaborator account still exists, it's just no longer managed by your plan. This means that the @CAE email has a Smartsheet account associated with it, which is why your user cannot add that @CAE email to their second account.

In order to consolidate these accounts, you will want to invite the @CAE email back into your plan again. This should send another automated email to the @CAE address. If the user doesn't see the email, have them check their Junk or Spam, see this Help Article - Issue: Email Not Received from Smartsheet. They can also reset their password directly from the Login Page if they need help logging in, see: Common login issues and how to solve them.

Then once both accounts are in your User Management, if you're on an Enterprise plan you can merge them together. (See: Admin Center: Combine accounts with User Merge)

If you're on a Business plan, you will need to remove the email from one of the accounts by adding a new, third email, making it the Primary email, and deleting the current Primary so you can move it over to the other account. (See: Error "Address Can't Be Added": Unable to Add Additional Email Address to Account)

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now