Variance on task list

Options

I have a sheet that is a running list of tasks that gets added to weekly. I am looking to figure out how to show how early, or late, a task is completed in relation to the due date. If the task is on time, I want to show 0.

I have been trying to use this formula

=NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) - 1

This works fine if the task is late. If the task is early, then the calculation is off by several days.

I tried combining several formulas based on what I have read elsewhere in the forum and now I just get #INCORRECT ARGUMENT.

=IF([Actual Finish]@row = [Due Date]@row, 0, IF([Due Date]@row < [Actual Finish]@row), =NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row)-1, IF([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) > 0, =NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row)+1)

Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @M38a1

There's a couple things to clean up here but you're on the right track!

Your first statement is correct, If this, then 0, Otherwise, this other formula.

However for your second and third IF statements, we'll want to adjust where your closing parentheses are and take away some of your = signs.

I'll break down each statement individually for your three outcomes, then we'll put them together.

First Statement - No Change:

=IF([Actual Finish]@row = [Due Date]@row, 0,

Second Statement - take out the ) and =

IF([Due Date]@row < [Actual Finish]@row, NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) -1,

Final Statement - we can jump right to the only other option you want to return

NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) +1

All Together:

=IF([Actual Finish]@row = [Due Date]@row, 0, IF([Due Date]@row < [Actual Finish]@row, NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) -1, NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) +1))

Let me know if this makes sense and works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @M38a1

There's a couple things to clean up here but you're on the right track!

Your first statement is correct, If this, then 0, Otherwise, this other formula.

However for your second and third IF statements, we'll want to adjust where your closing parentheses are and take away some of your = signs.

I'll break down each statement individually for your three outcomes, then we'll put them together.

First Statement - No Change:

=IF([Actual Finish]@row = [Due Date]@row, 0,

Second Statement - take out the ) and =

IF([Due Date]@row < [Actual Finish]@row, NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) -1,

Final Statement - we can jump right to the only other option you want to return

NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) +1

All Together:

=IF([Actual Finish]@row = [Due Date]@row, 0, IF([Due Date]@row < [Actual Finish]@row, NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) -1, NETWORKDAYS([Due Date]@row, [Actual Finish]@row) +1))

Let me know if this makes sense and works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• M38a1
    M38a1 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Genevieve! Your answer works brilliantly. And thank you for taking the time to break it out into individual statements so I can better understand the process for the next set of formulas that I am working on.

Best regards,

Eric

• Genevieve P.
    Options

No problem, Eric! I'm glad I could help. 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!