Divide By Zero Error(again)

Hello,

I am getting a #DIVIDEBY ZERO error when using the following formula:

=ROUND(AVG({CDuration}, {CDuration}))

What's confusing is that I am using the exact formula in another sheet and the formula is working as expected. I have went over the source(reference) sheet multiple times looking possible flaws or issues in the source data to no avail. Nothing on the new source(reference) sheet looks any different from the source(reference) sheet where the formula is working without issue. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @LeAndre P

Two things to check here. First of all, you only need to list the column to Average inside an AVG function once, like so:

=ROUND(AVG({CDuration}))

See: https://help.smartsheet.com/function/avg

Then if this is still giving you an error, the second thing to check is if any of the cells in your {CDuration} column have the "Divide by Zero" error. Formula errors can work like dominoes, so if one cell in that column has an error, it will surface in this other formula as well.

Do you have a formula in {CDuration}? If so, you can wrap an IFERROR Function around that formula to make sure it outputs a blank cell instead of an error.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @LeAndre P

Two things to check here. First of all, you only need to list the column to Average inside an AVG function once, like so:

=ROUND(AVG({CDuration}))

See: https://help.smartsheet.com/function/avg

Then if this is still giving you an error, the second thing to check is if any of the cells in your {CDuration} column have the "Divide by Zero" error. Formula errors can work like dominoes, so if one cell in that column has an error, it will surface in this other formula as well.

Do you have a formula in {CDuration}? If so, you can wrap an IFERROR Function around that formula to make sure it outputs a blank cell instead of an error.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thanks for helping. Its working now.

Thank you!! :)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!