Can't lock row

When I select the 'lock' icon for a particular line (in first column) it is still possible to edit/change the entries in this line. I am the owner of this sheet and need to lock the lines as and when I am finished entering in that line. How do I go about this?

Thanks

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Owners and admins can edit locked rows/columns. Those with Editor permissions and lower cannot change locked cells.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• surveys
    surveys ✭✭
    edited 01/21/22

Ok thanks for that Paul. I have shared a sheet with two others. I need them to be able to edit. I will be the sheet owner. There could potentially be 50 projects at different locations, some complete, some in progress. As projects are completed I was to ensure that these "completed" lines cannot be amended in error by anyone with access. Any advice?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @surveys

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Paul's excellent advice/answer.

If possible, I'd recommend setting up a Workflow that locks the row automatically when it's marked as Completed or something similar, and then the Editors can't make any change. You could also copy or/and move the row to an Archive instead or as a backup.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My suggestion would be a Lock Row automation to lock rows as they are marked complete and make sure they do not have above Editor permissions.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com